CORPORATE GOVERNANCE, BUSINESS ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Live-Online Training: N 175,000
Classroom Training: N 215,000
3 - 4 participants: 5% discount
5 or more participants: 10% discount
(Available also for Customised Training by Duration, Venue & Fee)
Corporate Governance, (rules, regulations, legislations, and principles) that help a public organization operate, has more or less been well-defined and structured.
Corporate governance in public services particularly has recently been gaining attention because of the scope and impact of public service delivery.
Public governance knowledge is important to ensure efficiency and quality of public service, which determine the citizens' quality of life. This conforms with corporate governance which is important for companies to scale up and for large ones to garner the interests of investors.
Because of the scope of service, the public sector faces a high risk of corruption, fraudulent and unethical practices, dissatisfaction and lack of alignment of employees, disagreements and lack of interests by management committees, etc., poor corporate governance in the public sector could affect a state or organization’s credibility, integrity and, in turn, its financial health and stability.
The prime objective of this course is to empower public sector professionals with: an in-depth understanding of Corporate Governance in Public Services, including:
- All spheres of management – action plans, internal controls, policies, and procedures to protect against fraud and misconduct and non-performance
- governance for quality delivery, disclosures for transparency and so as to build trust and credibility
- The necessity of proper corporate governance in the public sector
- Prevailing issues and their possible solutions
- Knowledge of how to balance financial optimization, public interests, and the well-being of public life
- Exposure and experience to manage the shift from old administration methods to new corporate techniques and best practices
- Perspective to devise and implement strategies for long-term success and sustainability
- Comprehension of the essentials to build an effective structural framework for accountability and ownership among stakeholders
- The required skill enhancement and know-how to become a more effective and efficient public services professional
- Experience and perspective to better manage conflicts.
Corporate Governance in the Public Service
- Overview of Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Importance of Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Impact of good Corporate Governance on society and the economy
Role of Board Members in Corporate Governance in the Public Service
- Types of Boards in public sector organizations – representational, hands-on,
- Duties of the Board – legal, strategic, fiduciary, oversight, etc.
- Individual Director responsibilities – care, loyalty, obedience, etc.
- Characteristics of an effective Board
- Management of Board responsibilities in case of mergers and acquisitions
Other Roles in Corporate Governance in the Public Service
- Chief Executive Officers
- Auditors/Compliance agencies
- HR professionals
- Legal professionals
Challenges in Corporate Governance and Ways to address them
- Ethical issues
- Internal and external pressure
- Risk management and mitigation
- Inaccurate data reporting and disclosures
Corruption – the most challenging of all issues
- Scope of corruption in the Public Services
- Types of corruption
- Ways to prevent corruption
- Laws against corruption
- Setting up an institutional framework against corruption
Mandates for Effective Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Importance of Audits – How, why, and when to conduct
- Data – How to derive, interpret, manage, and implement
- Budgets – how to utilize budgets effectively
- Media – How to use media to advocate value-driven governance
Soft skills for Corporate Governance in the Public Services
- Building accountability and responsibility
- Maintaining transparency and openness
- Maintaining ethics and a value-driven work culture
- Fostering decentralization and devolution
Legal and other Regulatory Foundations
- Compliance – what and why
- Understanding national and international regulatory and legislative frameworks
- Understanding regulations across various sectors
- Managing public grievance redressal systems.