(Available also for Customised Training by Duration, Venue & Fee)
To always stand out positively, designated Office Managers, Administrators and Secretaries need to perfect their interpersonal and behavioural skills. That way, they can stay in control and on top of their responsibilities.
This programme will focus target participants on processes and style of work expected of them:
• How to work smart, not just hard, putting the most emphasis on the most critical functions.
• How they appreciate that nothing will help their career more than a reputation for high quality work that makes their boss look good.
• How they make their boss become comfortably dependent on them for new ideas and support.
• Ways in which to develop and continuously assess their Emotional Intelligence capabilities.
• Work place communication and interpersonal skills.
• How to organise their thoughts clearly before communicating in writing.
• A practice of writing styles that are clear, concrete and courteous.
Broad Competencies Addressed:
• Ability to prioritise and cope with multiple tasks
• Ability to think like a manager – planning, making decisions and solving problems
• Ability to improve communication skills to enhance relationships
• Ability to manage your thoughts and feelings and improve self-confidence
• Ability to be assertive and therefore more effective in the workplace
• Ability to understand and develop interpersonal skills
• Ability to write memos, letters, reports, mails and proposals excellently by presenting their contents with mechanical precision
Essential Administrative Skills
• Roles and Competencies of Secretaries and Administrative Officers
- Traditional Roles
- Emerging Roles
• Understanding Changes Affecting Business
• Maintaining Corporate Secrecy and Confidentiality
• Records Keeping and Good Memory
• Office Etiquette
- Telephone Manners
- Grooming and Dress Code.
Vital Communication Skills
• Different styles of communication
• Understanding and using body language
• Listening skills
- seeking to understand before being understood
- Best practices for delivering positive Feedback
• Communication skills for internal customers:
- Positive listening habits
- Telephone manners
• Personal Attitudes and Customer Service Experience
• Long term relationship management.
• The Challenge of Communicating Effectively
- The business case
- Communication and culture.
• Writing Guidelines
- Essence of effective business writing
- Planning the writing
- Organising thought before writing.
• Prewriting & Planning
- Establishing purpose
- Clarifying readership
- Researching for facts.
• Doing the Writing
• Scheduling Meetings and Writing Minutes
- Minutes: what it is, what it is not
- The importance of Minutes
- Types of Minutes
- Minutes Format
- Steps to Effective Minutes
- Qualities of Good Minutes
• Email, Internet and Intranet Proficiency.
Emotional Intelligence Framework
• Self awareness
- Emotional awareness
- Accurate self assessment
- Self confidence
• Self regulation
- Self control
• Self motivation
- Achievement drive
• Social competence
- Customer Service Orientation.
• Managing Self for Effective Time Use
- Personal effectiveness
- Goal setting
• The Time Wasters
- Ineffective meetings
- Unproductive gist and talks
- Coming late to the office
- The “African time” syndrome
- Unskilled managers and subordinates
• Managing the Boss
- Everyone’s Pal Boss
- Self Promoter Boss
- High Achiever Boss
- Roadblocks Boss
• Managing Routines.