(Available also for Customised Training by Duration, Venue & Fee)
Objectives of the Course
This is a course suitable for individuals administering the payroll function 'In-house' or managing providers of payroll services when outsourced.
It is significant that every organization, small or large, establishes an efficient and cost effective Payroll unit or department staffed with personnel who understand and practice the payroll administration that is immediately relevant to the business. This course will provide participants with increased knowledge of managing a payroll system, both manually and with computerized software. The participants will also update their awareness of the relevant statutes.
The course will also benefit service delivery managers who manage this function on behalf of other organizations.
Introduction to Payroll Administration
• Importance of Payroll Management
• Core payroll concepts/Payroll Management Basics
• Payroll types
• Defining a Payroll structure – (Pay grade/group concept)
• The Human Resources Management interface
• The Accounts interface
• Employees categories and benefits planning that affect taxability.
• Manual processing
• Computerised processing
• Payroll records confidentiality.
• Legislations for PAYE – State Inland Revenue Service forms and how to fill them up
• Legislations for pension schemes and tax implications
• Relevant tax codes
• Requirements for remittance of tax deductions
• Tax Avoidance, Tax Evasion and their implications
• Income Tax
• Contributory Pension.
• Payment period practices – hourly, daily, weekly, fortnightly, monthly
• Payroll Setup
o Organization payroll profile
o Constituents of gross pay
o Calculations of net pay
o Time and Attendance
o Amortization and upfront payments
• Treatment of overtime pay
• Treatment of bonuses, vacation allowances and other earnings
• Involuntary deductions (e.g. dues for Unions, Cooperative Societies, etc.)
• Treatment of expatriate employees earnings
• Treatment of Benefits-in-Kind
• Directors earnings
• Treatment of employment termination.
• Data gathering
• Variations – salary review, loans, pay off, etc.
• Approval process
• Disbursement and Reporting
Post Payroll Processing
• Accounting Principles
o General ledger classification
o Cost Centres
o Payroll journal Entry
• Payroll audit
o Internal control
• Challenges with payroll management
• Automating your payroll process/Selecting a payroll software
• Benefits of automating your payroll.