Ilorin Venue - 37 OFFA ROAD, ALONG WAY TO FLOWER GARDEN, G.R.A., ILORIN.
(Available also for Customised Training by Duration, Venue & Fee)
Powerful communication is the key to effective leadership. This is a five-day practical ways for workplace communication in a variety of ways that senior officials should master if they plan to succeed.
Broad Competencies Addressed
• Become more effective leader in communicating the organization’s goals and desired feedback.
• Be more skillful at applying excellent communication competencies on the job.
• Persuade and convince others in ways that obtain agreement or approval on ideas and views.
• Blend well in an environment of cultural diversity.
• Persuasiveness – ability to present ideas, influence and convince others to obtain agreement and approval on ideas negotiated.
• Become most skillful in the use of today’s communication technology tools.
• Use of English Language – ability to read, speak and write excellently in English, the official language for business.
Defining Powerful Communication
• Communication is a Skill
• Powerful communicators and great leaders in history
• Communication Traits of Powerful Leaders
• Pulling people in with powerful messages
• A balanced use of inquiry and advocacy in communications
• Analysis of your preferred leadership communication style.
• The powerful communication potential in all of us.
The Effectiveness of a Leader’s Communication
• On power and authority
• Effectiveness of a Leaders: character, conviction, personal examples
• Communication that generates organizational loyalty
• Communicating with motivating language
• Communicating requests: descriptive expectations, time frame, etc.
• Communicating Performance Issues: setting goals, agreeing actions, discussing feedback.
Variety of Communication
• Skills for face-to-face
• Use of body-language
• Skills for telephone communication
• Communicating in writing.
Formal and informal communication
• Planned communication- meetings, conferences, presentations
• Casual communication – face-to-face conversation, phone calls, emails.
• Downward communication
• Upward communication
• Lateral communication.
A Model of Powerful Communication
• Sender planning a message
• Sender encoding the message
• Sender transmitting the message
• Receiver receiving the message
• Receiver decoding message
• Receiver responding based on understanding.
Situational Leadership Communication
• Communication that tells/directs
• Communication that sells
• Communication that collaborates
• Communication that delegates
• Communication in situations of crisis
• Intelligent delivery of bad news
• Communication clarity: speaking in specifics, speaking in generalities, speaking in ambiguities.
Questioning and Listening Skills of a Leader
• Effective listening skills to build rapport
• Questioning techniques that aid understanding
• Overcoming the barriers to good listening and feedback
• Masterful conversations with subordinates and superiors
• Conversation and Reasoning – deductive approach and the deductive approach.
Applying Emotional Intelligence for Communication
• Communicating with motivating language
• Use communication to create rapport and build trust
• Credible communications and communicating to be credible
• Caring communication styles
• Communications that motivate.
Communication to Create Employee Engagement
• On-going Communications:
- what the employee gets
- what the employee gives
- sense of belonging
- employee perception of growth and development.
• Communications of a change leader
• Communicating as a team leader
• Discretionary communication
• Plain speaking – delivering exactly the intended message.
Communicating to Bridge Generational Divide
• Care in the choice of colloquial language, analogies, etc.
• Keeping your subordinates informed
• Keeping your superiors informed
• Attention to gender-sensitive expressions.
Writing Competently for Effective Communication
• Planning the writing
• Organising thought before writing
• Researching for facts
• Word usage
• Common errors in our use of English by Nigerians
• Simplicity and conciseness
• Confused words
• Outdated expressions
• Opinion words and expressions.
• Speaking directly to listeners emotions
• Putting in the energy that enhances your message
• Communicating with precision and accuracy
• How to suspend assumptions and judgement in a conversation
• What to learn from Leaders who talk themselves into trouble.
Today’s communication technology tools
• The internet and intranet
• Social media.
Achieving Organizational Excellence
• The goals of power and influence
• Right action in and around leadership
• Investing in people
• Investing in outstanding workplace tools
• Leadership coaching for high performance
• Excellence in interpersonal communication
• Reinforcement of governance values
• Spirit of fairplay versus self-serving ruthlessness.
Maintenance of Authority
• Producing results
• Transforming power into influence
• Selection of appropriate influence strategy
• Interplay of power and ethics
• Techniques of maintaining assertiveness in action
• Coaching, mentoring, sponsorship.
• Leadership in Difficult Times
• Signs of difficult economic times
• Signs of difficult political times
• Leading teams through a period of limited resources
• Radical changes in service delivery
• Issues of morale and productivity
• Opportunities for positive change