A training programme whose contents have been developed around six “Key Negotiation Lessons,” namely:
• Avoid unreasonable or arbitrary positions
• Avoid letting prejudices show through
• Avoid negotiating by demands and ultimatums
• Present arguments calmly, without personalizing
• Explain positions logically and frankly
• Recognise legitimate concerns and needs of other side.
Broad Competencies Addressed
• Ability to assess one’s central negotiating style – collaborate, compromise, defeat, withdraw or accommodate.
• Ability to assess one’s true power in any negotiation process
• Ability to concede without losing out
• Ability to employ any of the several tactics negotiators use and manage when any of the tactics are being tried by other parties
• Ability to assess a true crisis situation and not a contrived one, so as to employ the right crisis negotiating tactics at the right time.
• Laying the Groundwork
o Setting the Time and Place
o Establishing Common Ground
o Creating a Negotiation Framework
• The Negotiation Process
o Personal Preparation
o Three Rules for Commercial Negotiations
o Cost of Negotiated Solution
o Negotiating Concerns
o Interests, Needs and Alternatives in a Negotiation
o How to Improve Your Negotiating Results.
• Basic Negotiation Styles:
o Lose- lose
• Timing for Negotiation Advantage
• The Five Types of Power in a Negotiation Process
• How to Break an Impasse
• Managing Your Ego
• Closing with Confirmation
• Negotiating Positions
o Terms and Conditions
• Negotiating Interests
o Underlying motivations
• Negotiating Options
o Inventing an option is not a commitment
• Negotiating Standards
o Make the negotiation a joint search for independent standards
• People Issues
o Ease and tone of communication
• Negotiation Alternatives
o Choose your ZOPA
o Establish your BATNA
• Negotiation Tactics
o Glossary of Tactics
• Culture Sensitivity
o Negotiating with a typical European
o Negotiating with a typical American
o Negotiating with a typical African
o Negotiating with an typical Arab
• Negotiation Planner
o A practice with the Negotiation Planner.
Registration: 8.30 – 9.00 a.m.
Class Session: 9.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m.