This course presents the first level of understanding of the working of MS Excel for its use to deliver basic financial and accounting assignments. It is for Analysts in accounts and finance functions who must possess a simple competence to use excel to generate management reports.
A First Look at Excel
• Starting the Excel programme
• What is the Active Cell?
• The Excel cell referencing system
• Entering numbers and text
• Default text and number alignment
• Adding a column of numbers
• Worksheets and Workbooks
• Saving a workbook
• Closing a workbook
• Creating a new workbook
• Opening a workbook
• Switching between workbooks
• Saving a workbook using another name
• Saving a workbook using a different file type.
• Getting help
• Searching for Help
• The Help ‘Table of Contents’
• Printing a Help topic
• Alt key help.
• Why are selection techniques important?
• Selecting a cell
• Selecting a range of connecting cells
• Selecting a range of non-connecting cells
• Selecting the entire worksheet
• Selecting a row
• Selecting a range of connecting rows
• Selecting a range of non-connected rows
• Selecting a column
• Selecting a range of connecting columns
• Selecting a range of non-connecting columns.
Manipulating Rows and Columns
• Inserting rows into a worksheet
• Inserting columns into a worksheet
• Deleting rows within a worksheet
• Deleting columns within a worksheet
• Modifying column widths
• Modifying column widths using ‘drag and drop’
• Automatically resizing the column width to fit contents
• Modifying row heights.
Copying, Moving and Deleting
• Copying the cell or range contents
• Deleting cell contents
• Moving the contents of a cell or range
• Editing cell content
• Undo and Redo
• Sorting a cell range
• Searching and replacing data.
• Switching between worksheets
• Renaming a worksheet
• Inserting a new worksheet
• Deleting a worksheet
• Copying a worksheet within a workbook
• Moving a worksheet within a workbook
• Copying or moving worksheets between workbooks.
• Font type
• Font size
• Bold, italic, underline formatting
• Cell border formatting
• Formatting the background colour
• Formatting the font colour.
• Aligning contents in a cell range
• Centring a title over a cell range
• Cell orientation
• Text wrapping
• Format painter.
• Number formatting
• Decimal point display
• Comma formatting
• Currency symbol
• Date styles
Freezing Row and Column Titles
• Freezing row and column titles.
Formulas and Functions
• Easy way to create formulas
• Copying formulas
• Formula error messages.
• Relative cell referencing within formulas
• Absolute cell referencing within formulas
• Three Dimensional referencing formulas.
• What is a function?
• Common functions
• Sum function
• Average function
• Max function
• Min function
• Count function
• What are ‘IF functions’?
• Using the IF function.
• Inserting a column chart
• Inserting a line chart
• Inserting a bar chart
• Inserting a pie chart
• Resizing a chart
• Deleting a chart
• Chart title or labels
• Chart background colour
• Changing a column, bar, line or pie slice colours
• Changing the chart type
• Modifying Charts using the Layout tab
• Copying and moving charts within a worksheet
• Copying and moving charts between worksheets
• Copying and moving charts between workbooks.
• Modifying basic options
• Minimising the Ribbon
• AutoCorrect options.
• Worksheet margins
• Worksheet orientation
• Worksheet page size
• Headers and Footers
• Header and footer fields
• Scaling your worksheet to fit a page(s).
Preparing to Print a Worksheet
• Visually check your calculations
• Gridline display when printing
• Printing titles on every page when printing
• Printing the Excel row and column headings
• Spell checking
• Previewing a worksheet
• Comparing Workbooks side by side
• Zooming the view
• Printing options.
Registration: 8.30 – 9.00 a.m.
Class Session: 9.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m.