From the book Rules of Work by Richard Templar, here are the final two of the ten rules:
RULE NINE – KNOW THE SYSTEM AND MILK IT
- Know all the Unspoken Rules of Office Life If you have been in your job for a while you should have learnt all these rules by now. If new, then these things are waiting to be found out.
- Know What to Call Everyone
- Know When to Stay Late and When To Go Early
- Know the Theft or Perks Rule Fiddling with expenses can be part of the office culture. But before you start filling your pockets, make sure it is worth it.
- Identify People Who Count Some persons always hold the trump card. Find them, know them. Be on the right side of the people who count.
- Be Well Up on the New Management Technique
- Know the Undercurrents and Hidden Agendas
- Know the Favourites and Cultivate Them If favouritism is going on – and often it will be – make sure you are your boss’s favourite. Make sure you know all the favourites in other departments.
- Know the Mission Statement and Understand It
RULE TEN – HANDLE THE OPPOSITION
- Identify the Opposition The internal candidate. The external candidate.
- Don’t Back-stab You will not take out the opposition by unlawful means.
- Know the Psychology of Promotion
- Don’t Give Too Much Away Don’t even allow yourself the privilege of thinking out loud. Keep your own counsel and you won’t go far wrong.
- Keep Your Ear to the Ground A lot of people don’t get anywhere with their job because they spend far too much time doing their job. You need to get your head up from time to time and look around you.
- Make the Opposition Seem Replaceable Your boss is your customer. Your colleagues are the competition.
- Don’t Damn the Opposition with Faint Praise If you can’t say anything nice, then shut up.
- Capitalize on the Career Enhancing Moments There are no bad jobs, only bad attitudes to jobs.
- Cultivate the Friendship and Approval of Your Colleagues
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK